Mr. Wild was talking with another farmer recently about using an incubator and hatching success. We'd been tracking our eggs-in/hatched-out for a couple of months so we looked back to see how we'd been doing. The other farmer said he was having 10% to 18% hatch rate.
Eggs in = 111
Hatched out = 55
Un-hatched eggs = 56
Bad eggs/weeping = 0
Hatch success = (55/111) 50%
Eggs in = 127
Hatched out = 22
Un-hatched eggs = 19
Bad eggs/weeping = 86
Hatch success = (22/127) 17%
We had a few issues in September.
The first one was when one of the guys down the road decided to cut his trees and one of the branches took out the power lines. We are really rural so it was the next day before the power company fixed it. The heat & humidity were really high.
The second one was the temperature knob got bumped by the dog in a fit of excitement over a mouse in the shop (the old tack room in the barn). In the midst of us trying to get the dog out of the shop before she knocked everything over, we completely forgot about fixing the knob. It was 2 days later before we fixed it.
The third one was Mini Wild putting the eggs in the incubator and not latching it shut. Again, the heat & humidity.
So basically in September, most of the eggs were cooked. It was awful. The smell was terrible!!! In the process of cleaning it out and removing the sticky eggs from the trays, I had one pop in my face and spew foul purple liquid all over me. Mr. Wild started gagging and I dropped the tray of eggs, which then caused more of them to pop. I had to run to the house to get my clothes off and SCRUB the stench off of me. September was a total fail.
The one thing we haven't kept track of is the eggs that we've given to family & friends. Those numbers are in the dozens!
Eggs in = 197
Hatched out =
Un-hatched eggs =
Bad eggs =
I'll post these numbers next month.